Monday 7 February 2011

The Voices of Time

Here's a long one.

It's also been a while since I read it.  When my baby boy arrived I was already a few stories behind.  I'd read them, but I hadn't blogged about them.  Just as I was getting back into the routine of feeding and sleeping, and sleeping myself of course, I went back to work.  And now, just as I'm beginning to think I've got the feeding and sleeping and working thing sussed, I wonder what else could happen to further mess around with my blogging habits.  We'll see.

Excuses.  Sadly, though, I may have to re-read the story, as I've forgotten what happened.  Something about time and evolution and people who go to sleep for increasing amounts of time every day, eventually winding up in a coma.  Something like that.

What I do remember is the similarity with The Drowned World, where evolutionary memories are locked inside our genetics.  In that story it's the tropical atmosphere, particularly the hot sun that reawakens dormant stuff, and in The Voices of Time it's the end of the Universe or something.  Wikipedia says there's something about men on the moon and blue people.  Something like that.

I'll read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment