Sunday 16 January 2011

Hiatus Part 2

Well I never!

I polished off The Restraint of Beasts in a couple of days.  Magnus Mills is great for that.  Really light reading, nothing really happens, and the books are quite short.  I find that I can usually eat up the pages and chapters within a couple of days, although for all its simplicity there's a lot more going on.  It's a bit like Animal Farm, which is a nice story about talking animals.  Magnus Mills is also very funny, but only if you get the joke.  Some reviewers on Amazon clearly didn't, hence the mixed reviews. Anyway, I'm rambling.  Good book, nothing really happens (or does it?), you learn a lot about putting up fences and it's very very funny.

So that took a couple of days, but my prolonged absence can be explained by the birth of my son, David, who arrived around lunchtime on the 10th, and has been causing time-management problems ever since.  Among the many things I will eventually teach him (dancing is okay for men, listen to women, Han shoots first), JG Ballard is one of them.  It will have to wait until he's in his teens before he gets presented with Crash, or High Rise, and I'll have to seriously think about A Clockwork Orange.

I'll try and find some time between feeding and burping and changing the little guy to keep up with reading and posting here.  When he gets old enough for a bedtime story, I'm not sure Vermilion Sands will really be appropriate. It looks like we'll start with Animal Farm then...

No comments:

Post a Comment